Russ, my beautician, is an old-fashioned gentleman living in a modern world. They just don’t make ’em like Russ anymore. While I’m seated in his barber chair, I’m asked to put down the cell phone and converse. When he first made the request, I hesitated—how could I not use the time during my hairdressing appointment to multitask, catch up on emails, check Facebook repeatedly, and take my turns in Words With Friends? It was a tough severance, but it made sense. Ultimately, it has made my appointments more relaxing. Russ insists on quality in every arena of his existence, and it comes through.
Here are the ways in which Russ proves that chivalry is not dead:
- He insists I put the cell phone down during our appointment
- He takes pride in his work
- He offers reasonable prices
- He’s a family man. Has three kids and works alongside his wife, Barbara
- He cares about his employees